Wisdom tooth extraction shouldn’t be painful because the area will be numb when the dentist removes your wisdom teeth. People generally believe that extracting wisdom is immensely painful. They even get terrified at the time of tooth removal because of this belief. However, the truth is the procedure is quick and painless when performed by experts.
While you might not feel any pain during the procedure, a mild pain & discomfort may trigger after a few hours when the anesthesia wears off. In addition, the time taken for tooth removal can differ from patient to patient. Thus, to make your recovery fast and reduce the pain after wisdom tooth extraction, get it done by professionals.
When the need for wisdom tooth removal arises?
Wisdom teeth are the last molars to erupt. They often start to show up when a person is in their late teens or early twenties. Only when the wisdom teeth are producing issues, such as discomfort, swelling, irritated gums, or tooth decay, dentists often advise having them get removed.
You must get a wisdom tooth extracted when:-
- When you have an impacted wisdom tooth, as wisdom teeth appear in the back of the mouth, they might not come out properly. They might get trapped in your gums or jawbone, causing you much pain.
- They come out at an incorrect angle- the wisdom teeth might come out at the wrong angle, and they might crush your other teeth.
- The size of your mouth is not big enough-sometimes your jaw is too small to fit an extra set of morals in your mouth.
- Having cavities or gum diseases- the toothbrush might not reach the wisdom teeth when you suffer from cavities.
Those mentioned above are some circumstances where wisdom tooth extraction becomes a must.
How long does it take to recover after wisdom tooth extraction?
It takes up to two weeks to recover from wisdom tooth removal. During these two weeks, wisdom teeth removal includes the aftereffects such as swollen cheeks and mouth and a painful dry socket.
It can be worse for a few days and gradually show improvements. To reduce the swelling, gently put a cloth against your face.
- Mild but visible bruising on your cheek; the skin on your face might get bruised for two weeks till recovery.
- Sore jaw, which will fade within 7-10 days
- Nasty taste in your mouth and numbness around the face, lips, or tongue; this is very uncommon.
However, wisdom tooth removal pain will be present if the surgery is complicated. If there is any bleeding, unbearable pain, or other symptoms from the ones mentioned above, you should report it to your dentist instantly.
Some Tips for self-care after Wisdom Tooth Removal:
To reduce your pain and get comfortable, here are some home care instructions to aid recovery from the surgery.
- Do exercise for a couple of days and avoid energetic activities.
- Make use of pillows to give support to your head.
- For up to 24 hours, do not rinse or spit, and avoid hot drinks or anything likely that has a chance of dislodging your blood clots which are in the empty socket of the tooth removed.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking for 24 hours.
- No Dairy after tooth extraction and chew with your other teeth
Make use of painkillers like paracetamol or your preference of medicine. According to a study, ibuprofen is the best painkiller for relieving the pain of wisdom tooth removal.
Contact pinnacle dental to get your wisdom tooth extracted professionally:
Our emergency dentist in Plano can remove your wisdom tooth if it causes much discomfort to you. Book an appointment with Pinnacle Dental Clinic to get your wisdom tooth removed without any pain. Also, they will guide you throughout the process, and the amount of pain caused. They will also give you instructions about your recovery.