No, the procedure or surgery of wisdom tooth extraction is not painful as the area is numbed before the process. However, inform your dentist if you have discomfort so they can provide more anesthetic if necessary. The time taken for tooth removal can differ from patient to patient.
Many people do not have any pain after the surgery, but the swelling and discomfort will be there for three days or more. However, some might feel pain after wisdom teeth are removed, and the surgery is done. They need to get their dentists’ attention on the particular problem. Thus, to make your recovery fast and reduce the pain after wisdom tooth extraction done by professionals.
When the need for wisdom tooth removal arises?
The last molars to erupt are the wisdom teeth. They often start to show up when a person is in their late teens or early twenties. Only when the wisdom teeth are producing issues, such as discomfort, swelling, irritated gums, or tooth decay, do dentists often advise having them removed.
- Wisdom teeth are impacted- as wisdom teeth appear in the back of the mouth, they might not come out properly. They might get trapped in your gums or jawbone, causing you much pain.
- They come out at an incorrect angle- the wisdom teeth might come out at the wrong angle, and they might crush your other teeth.
- The size of your mouth is not big enough-sometimes your jaw is too small to fit an extra set of morals in your mouth.
- Having cavities or gum diseases- when you suffer from cavities, the toothbrush might not reach the wisdom teeth.
The above-mentioned are some circumstances where wisdom tooth extraction becomes a must.
How long does it take to recover from surgery for wisdom tooth extraction?
Nearly two weeks are taken to recover from wisdom tooth removal. During these two weeks, the wisdom teeth removal includes the aftereffects such as,
- Swollen cheeks and mouth
- Painful dry socket
It can be worse for a few days and gradually show improvements. To reduce the swelling, gently put a cloth against your face.
- Mild but visible bruising on your cheek; the skin on your face might get bruised for two weeks till recovery.
- Sore jaw, which will fade within 7-10 days
- Nasty taste in your mouth and numbness around the face, lips or tongue; this is very uncommon.
However, wisdom tooth removal pain will be present if the surgery is complicated. If there is any bleeding, unbearable pain or other symptoms from the ones mentioned above, you should report it to your dentist instantly
Some Tips for self-care after Wisdom Tooth Removal:
To reduce your pain, here are some home care instructions to aid recovery from the surgery.
- Do exercise for a couple of days and avoid energetic activities.
- Make use of pillows to give support to your head.
- For up to 24 hours, do not rinse or spit, and avoid hot drinks or anything likely that has a chance of dislodging your blood clots which are in the empty socket of the tooth removed.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking for 24 hours.
- Drink liquid or eat soft things and chew with your other teeth
Make use of painkillers like paracetamol or your preference of medicine. According to a study, ibuprofen is the best painkiller for relieving the pain of wisdom tooth removal.
Contact us to get your wisdom tooth extracted professionally:
Book an appointment with Pinnacle Dental Clinic to get your wisdom tooth removed without any pain. Our emergency dentist in Plano can remove your wisdom tooth if it causes much discomfort to you. Also, they will guide you throughout the process and the amount of pain caused. They will also give you instructions about your recovery.