Tooth decay occurs when an infection in the teeth makes the bacteria release acids. The acids released by bacteria damage the teeth, due to which a cavity is formed. This condition is known as tooth decay. Some people develop abscess. If the condition becomes severe, there can be tooth loss.
People who have diabetes or other health conditions have a risk of tooth decay. Some medicines also cause tooth decay and cavities. It is important to care for teeth and follow good oral hygiene so that the problem of cavities can be prevented.
Causes Of Tooth Decay
Tooth decay can be due to several reasons. It is important to consult a dentist If there is any problem in the teeth like pain or discomfort. We offer the best Plano family dental service. Some causes of tooth decay are as follows.
- Plaque-When plaque forms and covers the teeth, tooth decay occurs.
- Sugary Diet-Another reason for plaque formation is consuming foods and drinks that contain a high amount of sugar and starch. Plaque forms when you take a high-sugar diet and don’t clean your teeth. Sugar attracts bacteria, and this results in a cavity.
Symptoms Of Tooth Decay
- There can be toothache due to a cavity
- Tooth decay can cause bad breath
- You may develop sensitivity in the teeth to hot or cold food and drinks
- Some people have holes in the teeth if a cavity has formed
- There can be the formation of stains outside the teeth. The stains may be brown or black. Some patients have grey or white stains
- If you have a filling in the teeth and it starts becoming loose, it is a sign of cavity or tooth decay
- There can be a problem in eating food. The patient has pain while chewing and eating food
- Tooth decay causes cavities and food can feel trapped in space or hollow of the cavity
- A cavity can cause abscesses, and there can be pain due to this. Sometimes, there is fever and swelling of the face
- If there is tooth decay, you may feel unpleasant when you eat food. The food may not taste good to you
When To See A Dentist
In the initial stages, when a cavity is just forming, there may be no symptoms, so you might not know if you have a cavity or not.
- Having pain in the teeth or mouth that doesn’t reduce is an indication of a serious problem. Please visit a dentist.
- If there is a fever or sensitivity that doesn’t go away after teo days, it is time to visit a dentist
- Schedule an appointment with a dentist and get a diagnosis to find the cause of the symptoms you have
Treatment Of Tooth Decay
Tooth decay or cavity can be treated with the following treatments.
- Fluoride Treatments-Dental clinics do fluoride treatments like applying fluoride gel or varnish to the teeth
- Fillings-The space or hollow in the teeth is filled with a filling made of resin, ceramic, or other materials
- Dental Crowns-Decay or damage in the dentin of the teeth is when the dentist will put a filling in the teeth and cover it with a crown
- Root Canal-It is done when the root pulp of the teeth is damaged or decayed. After a root canal, the dentist will insert a filling and cover the tooth with a crown.
Prevention Of Tooth Decay
- Brushing the teeth is the best way to prevent tooth decay and cavities. You must brush your teeth two times daily. Use a fluoride toothpaste
- Do flossing as it will help in removing food particles stuck in between the teeth
- It is important to clean the mouth and rinse it well. Wash your mouth each time you eat or drink something. Use a fluoride mouthwash to wash and clean your mouth
- Avoid taking snacks and sugary drinks as it can increase the risk of developing a cavity. Don’t eat cookies and candies. Take a healthy and non-sugary diet. Don’t drink soda. Eat fruits and vegetables and avoid fast food and snacks.
- Drink tap water. Water from public or community sources like the tap contains fluoride. Fluoride is good for your teeth, so drink tap water sometimes instead of bottled water. You can get fluoride through fluoride water rinse, fluoride tablets, and applying fluoride gel to the teeth
- Get regular dental check-ups done. Schedule a visit to a dentist for a check-up at frequent intervals. Get dental cleanings done at a gap of six 6 months
Tooth decay is a serious problem and needs immediate attention. People who have symptoms of tooth decay or discomfort in the mouth can consult our Experienced dentist and Book An appointment with them.