Teeth whitening has become increasingly popular for achieving a dazzling smile, but the process isn’t without its potential side effects. While it promises a brighter, more confident grin, many individuals overlook the potential consequences on their delicate gum tissue. Burned gums from teeth whitening have become a distressing issue for numerous people, causing discomfort and hindering their desire for a perfect smile.
Learn about the effects of teeth whitening on gums. Find the key steps to alleviate pain, promote healing, and regain your radiant smile, all while ensuring a positive teeth whitening experience.
Ways To Soothe Gums After Teeth Whitening?
If you are experiencing this discomfort of burned gums after teeth whitening, here are some effective ways to treat and heal your gums –
- Rinse with saltwater
Mix half a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water. Gently swish the solution in your mouth for about 30 seconds before spitting it out. This natural remedy helps reduce inflammation and promotes healing.
- Apply aloe vera gel
Known for its soothing properties, aloe vera gel can provide relief to burned gums. Apply a small amount directly to the affected area, leave it for a few minutes, and rinse your mouth with water.
- Use a topical oral gel
Look for over-the-counter oral gels containing benzocaine or lidocaine. These numbing agents can temporarily alleviate the pain and discomfort associated with burned gums.
- Avoid hot and spicy foods
Give your gums time to heal by avoiding hot beverages, spicy foods, and anything that may further irritate the affected area. Stick to soft, cool foods that won’t aggravate the condition.
- Maintain good oral hygiene
Continue brushing your teeth, but do it gently and with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Be cautious while flossing around the affected area to avoid further irritation.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking plenty of water can help keep your mouth moist and aid in the healing process. Avoid sugary and acidic beverages that could irritate your gums further.
- Consult your dentist
If the pain persists or the condition worsens, seeking professional dental care is essential. A dentist can thoroughly examine and recommend additional treatments or medications if necessary.
By following these tips and taking proactive measures, you can effectively treat burned gums and restore oral health, enjoying the benefits of long lasting teeth whitening confidently.
What Causes Burned Gum During Teeth Whitening?
Burned gums during teeth whitening can occur due to various factors. Here are some common causes –
- Whitening agent contact: Exposure to high concentrations of peroxide-based bleaching agents can cause chemical burns.
- Ill-fitting trays or strips: Poorly fitting whitening trays or strips allow the gel to seep into gums, leading to burns.
- Overuse or misuse: Excessive or improper use of whitening products can increase the risk of gum irritation.
- Sensitivity or pre-existing gum issues: Sensitive or inflamed gums are more susceptible to burns during teeth whitening.
- Unregulated treatments: Homemade or non-approved whitening methods may contain harmful substances that irritate gums.
While some gum sensitivity is normal after in-office teeth whitening, a dental professional should address severe burns, excessive pain, or persistent discomfort.
How To Protect Gums During Teeth Whitening?
To protect your gums during teeth whitening, follow these brief points –
- Before whitening teeth, seek professional advice to ensure suitability and discuss protective measures.
- Use custom-made trays from a dentist to ensure a proper fit and prevent the whitening gel from touching your gums.
- Use a dental dam or petroleum jelly to create a barrier between the whitening gel and your gums.
- Adhere to the recommended application time and frequency specified by the whitening product instructions.
- Apply whitening strips carefully, avoiding contact with your gums, and adjust them if necessary.
- After applying the whitening gel, remove any excess gel from your gums using a clean cloth or swab.
- Consider in-office whitening procedures performed by a dental professional who can precisely protect your gums.
Prioritize safety by following these guidelines or seek professional teeth whitening treatment for a worry-free whitening experience in Plano.
Brighten Your Smile for Every Occasion with Professional Teeth Whitening
Revitalize your smile with our advanced teeth whitening treatment at Pinnacle Dental. Our experienced dentist in Plano for teeth whitening can teeth whitening treatment to restore your natural sparkle and help you radiate confidence. Contact our Plano Dental clinic to schedule your teeth whitening session now.