Sleep Apnea is a severe sleep disorder in which a person’s breathing is interrupted during sleep. The breathing may suddenly stop and start while asleep. It is a painful disorder and is even linked with the risk of heart disease, heart failure, stroke, and metabolic issues such as diabetes.
When left untreated, the condition may become more severe and lead to these conditions. The sleeper himself may not be aware of the situation. However, the partner sleeping alone may notice this and may also be affected due to the condition.
People with this condition may experience snoring and also deal with unexplained fatigue. Snoring can make sleeping extremely uncomfortable.
Here are some of the common health problems that an individual has when dealing sleep apnea:
- Acid reflux – Many people say that it causes acid reflux or heartburn. However, there is no medical evidence claiming this. The burning pain and discomfort may become more severe, which may affect an individual’s physical health.
- Accidents – When individuals feel dizzy and tired, they may be at higher risk of falling asleep while driving. It has even been found that individuals struggling with it are five times more likely to have a car accident. Lack of proper sleep may lead to such critical risks that can put an individual’s life in danger.
- Weight gain – An individual may experience unexplained fatigue. In situations like these, the body might not turn the food you eat into energy efficiently. It can lead to significant weight gain and problems such as obesity. It is even recommended to lose weight and be physically active to treat the condition.
- Memory loss – Some individuals even struggle to memorize and may have to deal with conditions such as memory loss. Problems related to sleep and breathing disorders even increase the symptoms of experiencing memory loss. If you feel you have minor signs, you must immediately get in touch with a specialist to get it treated.
- Daytime sleepiness – It may disrupt sleep, and an individual may feel tired throughout the day. This can lead to an individual feeling sleepy during morning times, which can disturb the mood and thoughts. It is crucial to get proper medical treatment that will help you feel less fatigued during the day.
- Depression – Inadequate sleep can increase the risk of mental health disorders and may make an individual more depressed. If you have this issue and are experiencing feelings of sadness, you must get in touch with a Sleep Apnea Dentist. They will suggest an ideal treatment that will uplift your mood and improve your mental health.
- Asthma attacks – It can even increase the risk of asthma attacks and may worsen the inflammation in the lungs. It is essential for individuals struggling to get it treated on time to reduce such risks.
- Metabolic syndrome – An individual dealing with this ailment may experience any of these metabolic syndrome conditions.
- High blood sugar
- Low levels of good or HDL cholesterol
- Too much fat around the waist
- High blood pressure
These conditions can even increase the risk of additional health conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, or stroke. It is necessary to get in touch with a medical professional and adopt healthy lifestyle changes.
- High blood pressure – It can increase blood pressure levels, and if you are already having high blood pressure, the condition may make it even worse. The level of oxygen in your blood may also decrease during the night. High blood pressure can be a significant problem and may increase the risk of other potential conditions. It is essential to get the condition treated at an early stage to prevent such potential risks.
- Heart disease – People struggling with this disease are at higher risk of experiencing heart disease or even heart attacks. It often occurs because of low oxygen, which may disrupt how the body takes in oxygen. It can even create difficulty for an individual’s brain and its ability to control how blood flows.
Treating this condition can ease or cure most of these health conditions. It is essential to begin the treatment at an early stage to prevent it from getting more severe.
Warning Signs: When should you see a doctor?
Snoring indeed is one of the most common symptoms. However, many people don’t experience this problem of snoring. The condition can cause significant breathing disturbances during sleep.
In addition to these, many individuals experience the symptoms of fatigue or sleepiness during the day. Its symptoms vary from person to person. However, you should consider these symptoms as warning signs and must see a doctor immediately if the following occurs:
- Frequent and loud snoring that might come and go overnight.
- An individual dealing with it may wake up with a very sore or dry throat.
- An individual may feel a choking or gasping sensation.
- Sleepiness or lack of energy during the day.
- Even after having a full night’s sleep, they may feel dull throughout.
- People may often have to deal with restless sleep, repeated awakenings, or insomnia disorders.
- Morning headaches are a common sign which may arise because of lack of sleep.
- Nightmares and bad dreams.
If you often have any particular symptoms, you should get in touch with the Sleep Apnea Dentist in Plano. They will refer you to the diagnostic tests that will help in treating this condition.