There can be difficulty chewing food and speaking if you have missing teeth and it also impacts your looks. A person with tooth loss may not feel confident like before. A dental implant is the best solution for this problem. The new artificial teeth are as good as the real ones. The teeth are made of screws and metal posts. It is a better option than dentures and bridges. Dentures and bridges may not be suitable for your teeth, but implants work well.
Planning And Preparation
Planning or preparation is the first step of the procedure. More than one or two oral surgeons, dentists, and ENT specialists may be involved in the planning. People who have lost teeth due to trauma or injury can get a dental implant from a Prosper dentist.
- A thorough check-up of the teeth, jaw, and mouth is done prior to the procedure.
- The dentist will take an X-ray and do 3D scanning of the teeth or mouth.
- They will take an impression of your teeth.
Inquiry About Your Medical Conditions And Medicines You Take
The dentist may inquire about your physical health and medical problems that you suffer from. They may ask you about the medicines that you are taking.
- Inform the dentist if you suffer from heart problems, diabetes, hypertension, bone disease, or any other medical condition.
- If you have an infection in your body, you will have to take antibiotics to heal it prior to the procedure.
Checking of Teeth, Gums, and Jaws
The teeth and gums are checked properly to see if you have periodontal disease.
- The dentist ensures that the jaw bone is healthy and strong to tolerate the implant.
- They might do a bone graft if they find the jaw bone is very thin.
It Is An Outpatient Procedure Done With Local Anesthesia
The patient doesn’t need to get admitted to the hospital because it’s an outpatient treatment.
- Local anesthesia is administered.
- Sometimes, the dentist gives general anesthesia before starting the surgery.
Inserting Artificial Teeth
The dental surgeon may make an incision in the gums to expose the jaw below it. After that, holes are made, and artificial teeth are attached.
- The hole is first covered with a denture for a temporary implant. The denture is removed later when the permanent implant is inserted
- The dentist does not make holes for a subperiosteal implant. The implant is positioned on the bone for such surgeries
The Surgery Can Be In a Day Or In Multiple Sessions.
Your dentist may insert new teeth and cover them with a crown simultaneously.
- The procedure can be done on the same day. However, multiple sessions may be needed with a gap of a few months for a successful surgery.
- The dentist inserts a temporary implant initially and replaces it with a permanent one in the subsequent visits.
Regrowth Of Bone
It takes some time for the bone to regrow near the screws or posts that are inserted.
- The time a bone takes to grow again can vary. It may take approximately 2-6 months for the bone to heal.
- The process of growth of natural bone is known as osseointegration.
The recovery time varies from patient to patient. There is zero recovery time if the dentist does the same-day surgery without making a cut in the gums and if they cover the new teeth with a crown simultaneously.
- The recovery may take some time if bone grafting is done. Healing takes a long time if incisions are made.
- The cut needs to heal, and it might take some time.
Taking care of teeth after the procedure is important for you.
- Rinse the mouth using lukewarm salty water on the day of the treatment.
- Avoid using mouthwash
- Start brushing your teeth after 24 hours.
- Take medicine that your dentist recommends to help reduce pain and swelling.
Pinnacle Dental does the best treatment for tooth loss. Our dentists take care of your dental problems and help you recover fast. You can make an appointment with our dentist and visit our clinic for dental surgery.